SatGen v3 software can generates a live signal stream to a LabSat RT unit which up converts the RF data from digital to analogue with less than 1 second’s latency.
Real Time is an output format available in SatGen v3. There are two variations of this feature, one allowing the user to create a live signal output for the current time and the other allowing the user to create a live signal output for a specified time and date.
Once a user has specified their desired route using either the Draw Route, Static Scenario, Import File or User Defined section of SatGen v3, proceed to create the scenario and select either ‘Real Time – User Time’ or ‘Real Time – Current Time’.
When the output format is confirmed the software will prepare to start the signal output, as part of this process the user is required to accept permissions.
After permissions are accepted the software will open a control window.
- Status Indicator – The status indicator will display yellow when the simulation first starts and time is being synchronised. It will display green when live signals are being transmitted. If too many satellites are present the status will briefly display red to symbolise an overload and reduce the number of satellites until it is able to successful transmit. A count will be displayed within the status to allow the user to see how many times the software has encountered an overload during the simulation.
- Constellation Tabs – There will be one or two constellation tabs during simulation dependent on the number of constellations selected. Within the tab each individual satellite for the constellation will be displayed.
- Attenuation Sliders – The attenuation sliders can be linked to apply the same level of attenuation to the entire constellation or alternatively the user can chose to add attenuation to individual satellites of their choice.
- Satellite Limitation Controls – These controls can be enabled or disabled using the tick box. When enabled the user can chose between ‘Automatic’ or ‘Manual’ operation. If set to automatic the software will try to simulate as many available satellites as possible until the PC reaches 100% CPU usage. When set to manual operation the user can set the maximum amount of satellites for each individual constellation.
- Individual Satellite Control – Each individual satellite included in the simulation will have a tick box. The user can use the tick box to enable and disable the individual satellites during simulation. The tick box on the constellation tab will allow the user to disable and enable the entire constellation during simulation.
SatGen uses the PC internal clock for current time simulation. To ensure that the current time is synchronised, a separate time display can be lauched for within the software. This will synchronise the PC clock with a web based time server. Further controls are available by right mouse click on the time display.