The use of multi-channel signal simulators to verify and evaluate Global Navigation Satellite Systems (GNSS) performance is at the core of any test approach. SatGen software provides an easy-to-use but powerful solution to users wishing to replay GNSS test scenarios or generate the signals in real time.
SatGen v3 will allow users to either specify a complete set of simulation parameters to create an IQ data file at baseband or, define the scenario parameters to generate a live signal stream to a LabSat RT unit which up converts the RF from digital to analogue with less than 1 second's latency. The user can specify the simulation parameters including receiver dynamics, GPS satellite profile, and the GPS receiver signal and hardware profile. SatGen v3 provides accurate and repeatable RF signals and is up to 3 times faster than previous versions.
SatGen is ideal for applications requiring:
- High degree of flexibility not found in other hardware-based signal generators.
- The ability to make custom modifications to the simulator to support unique testing requirements.
- Highly repetitive testing where consistency between test runs is critical.
SatGen PC requirements
Minimum recommended specification for the desktop or laptop PC to be used with SatGen v3 software. Intel® i5™ 4 GB RAM, 250 GB Hard Drive.
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 64 bit, Windows 8 64 bit, USB 2.0 port.
Single constellation: 18 satellites.
Single Intel i7-5960X (20M cashe, up to 3.50 GHz) extreme processor with 8 cores and 16 threads.
Dual constellation: 22 satellites.
Dual Xeon E5-2660 v3 (25M cashe, 2.60 GHZ) processors with 20 cores and 40 threads.
SatGen v3 software will run in two modes
- Demonstration Mode: to allow for short demonstrations SatGen software will run for 120 seconds without the Security dongle installed to allow for software feature demonstration.
- Operational Mode: SatGen v3 will operate as a single, dual or triple constellation version depending upon which security dongle is inserted. It is essential that users do NOT lose their dongle as the dongle cannot be replaced. A dongle replacement will require a full re-purchase of the SatGen v3 software.
- Real Time Mode: SatGen v3 Real Time will allow users to generate a live signal stream to a LabSat RT with less than 1 second’s latency.
SatGen software comes with the following configuration:
- SatGen v3 Single Constellation – This version allows for easy generation of data into LabSat scenario files for replay with LabSat, LabSat 2 or LabSat 3 simulator systems. The software will create a single constellation file for GPS L1 or GLONASS L1 or BeiDou B1.
- SatGen v3 Dual Constellation - This version allows for easy generation of data into LabSat scenario files for replay with all hardware versions of LabSat simulator systems. The software will create single or dual constellation files for GPS L1, GLONASS L1 or BeiDou B1 in any two or single constellation combination.
- SatGen v3 Triple Constellation – This version allows for easy generation of data into LabSat scenario files for replay with all hardware versions of LabSat simulator systems. The software will create three, two or single constellation files for GPS L1, GLONASS L1 or BeiDou B1 in any constellation combination.
There are four ways of generating the desired trajectory data with SatGen v3:
- Static Scenario – Use the inbuilt Google mapping to search for a location or enter the coordinate’s directly.
- Draw Route – Use the inbuilt Google map to draw a dynamic route.
- Import File – Import trajectory files in the following formats:
- Google earth KML file.
- NMEA file in $GGA format.
- VBOX file in VBO format.
- User Defined – create a trajectory using either the predefined examples or by entering user generated commands to control the position, velocity and dynamics of the output file.